The Watershed Hydrology Group shares the Water Resources and Forest Soils and Hydrology laboratories, which are two lab facilities that 5 faculty (including McGuire) from the Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation and the Virginia Water Resources Research Center share. Facilities include 3 separate laboratory spaces totaling approximately 1900 sq. ft. plus a 960 sq. ft. headshed for soil and plant preparation and a walk-in drying oven, refrigerator, and freezer. The laboratory space (~1200 ft2) is located in Latham Hall (ca. 2006), which is a building adjacent to Cheatham Hall. Each laboratory bench space is dedicated to specific activities – acid washing, sample digestion, weighing and extractions, filtering, or analytical equipment.
The Forest Soils and Hydrology Lab (pictured above) is also outfitted for full soil hydrologic property characterization. Field- and lab-based constant-head permeameters, tension tables, and ring, Hood, and disk infiltrometers are available.
Major analytical equipment (pictured above) includes:
- Vista-MPX CCD Simultaneous ICP-OES
- Shimadzu Nexis GC-2030 Gas Chromatograph
- Shimadzu GC-2010 Gas Chromatograph
- Mars 6 Microwave Digestion System
- Elementar Vario Max CNS Elemental Analyzer
- IsoPrime 100 Mass Spectrometer and Vario MICRO Cube Elemental Analyzer
- Shimadzu TOC/TON Analyzer
- Auto Analyzer III High Resolution Digital Colorimeter
- TRAACS 2000 Auto-analyzer
- Radiometer Titralab 865 Titrator
- Elementar LiquiTOC
- Perkin Elmer Microplate Scintillation & Luminescence Counter
- Dionex Ion Chromatograph