The Watershed Hydrology Group shares the Water Resources and Forest Soils and Hydrology laboratories, which are two lab facilities that 5 faculty (including McGuire) from the Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation and the Virginia Water Resources Research Center share. Facilities include 3 separate laboratory spaces totaling approximately 1900 sq. ft. plus a 960 sq. ft. headshed for soil and plant preparation and a walk-in drying oven, refrigerator, and freezer. The laboratory space (~1200 ft2) is located in Latham Hall, which is a new (ca. 2006) building on the campus of Virginia Tech. Each laboratory bench space is dedicated to specific activities – acid washing, sample digestion, weighing and extractions, filtering, or analytical equipment.
The Forest Soils and Hydrology is also outfitted for full soil hydrologic property characterization. Field- and lab-based constant-head permeameters, tension tables, and ring, Hood, and disk infiltrometers are available.
Major analytical equipment includes:
- IsoPrime 100 EA-Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometer (CNHO)
- Dionex Ion Chromatograph
- Elementar CNS Max
- Elementar LiquiTOC
- Shimadzu TOC/TON analyzer
- Seal Analytical AAIII Auto-analyzer
- Shimadzu Gas Chromatograph
- Radiometer Titralab 865 Titrator
- Bran & Luebbe TRAACS 2000 Auto-analyzer
- Varian Vista MPX ICP
- Perkin Elmer Microplate Scintillation & Luminescence Counter